Friday 5 November 2010

The Sandstone Trail Cheshire............click to view


I often plan my walks based around my local  " Long Distance Footpath " the Sandstone Trail. This footpath stretches for 34 miles/55 kms through the centre of Cheshire starting at Frodsham in the North and ending in the Shropshire town of Whitchurch to the South.

The North/South route is my own personal preference but of course it can be done the other way around. Overnight accommodation is available about halfway on the trail at the Pheasant Inn in Higher Buwardsley  http://www.thepheasantinn.co.uk/  and the Shady Oak pub on the banks of the Shropshire Union Canal near Beeston Castle  http://www.ivisitorguide.com/beeston-castle/  offers refreshment and over night camping facilities (2010) for backpackers.

I have completed the whole walk in two one day sections and with the help of some well written local guide books I have divided the Trail into twelve short circular walks of about 6 miles in length which I have done on a regular basis over the last few years and i have decided to spend this winters weekends re-doing these routes and recording them on the Blog.

The Sandstone Trail used to start on Beacons Hill above Frodsham and end at Grindley Brook just outside Whitchurch but due to its popularity over the years it has been extended into both town centres.

No comments: