Thursday 25 October 2012

Tatton Park to watch the Red Deer rut............................................ continued

It was a bit dull yesterday as we arrived at Tatton Park... but at least the rain stayed away.

A view of the mansion house across the deer park.

As we drove slowly through the park I spotted a pair of horns rising up through the long grass.

It was one of the single stags I had seen on my last visit... he had attracted 10 hinds into his new harem.

He was happy to let intruders know who was the boss on his little patch... with a load hearty roar.

The hinds all seemed very settled with their new man...

...who had a nice gentle way with his ladies.

This years rut appeared to be over in this part of the park so we headed a bit further along the drive.

Soon we were to see a much bigger herd of over 40 hinds with a stag who was being kept busy trying to keep his girls under control while a couple of single males were trying to steal them from under his nose.
It was very entertaining to watch... more in a couple of days as I sort through the rest of my images.

SkywatchFriday

19 comments:

Joop Zand said...

Great pictures Andrew...... lovely nature.

Greetings, Joop

Revrunner said...

Tough work, but someone has to do it, right? :-)

Gillian Olson said...

Great pictures Andrew, I look forward to more.

Brian King said...

Love your photos! It's awesome you have access to these deer. Wonderful photo op!

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful animals!

Unknown said...

Great post Andrew. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific captures, Andrew! I do love the deer!! Have a good weekend!

Carletta said...

I love watching the deer in my backyard and wish I could see scenes like these.
Excellent set of shots Andrew!
I scrolled down and saw the previous ones as well - nice work.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful animals aren't they.

Iris said...

beautifil :)

Magia da Inês said...

°º✿♫ Bela série de fotos. A últma é
°º✿ um show.
º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.

genie said...

Oops, Andrew...I just had to ask my husband what a rut is. 33 years out in the country of an old farm, and I still do not know what it is all about. We both enjoyed your beautiful captures. genie

Anonymous said...

What a dream.

Seema Patel said...

Today's pictures are indeed very nice...the last one is very precious..

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wow -- I didn't realize before how huge that herd is! I can almost hear that one bellowing (calling for his mate?)

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Wonderful images, beautiful animals!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow, that's a lot!

My Sky Shots
Have a great weekend.

Ruby said...

The herd is huge and very lovely shots of the deer!! Cheers Ruby

Unknown said...

Great images, enjoyed viewing them, I hope to get some deer shots this weekend at Woburn near me. Enjoy your weekend, Cheers Mark