Friday 18 November 2011

Ratcliffe Barnett................................................... and a love of Scotland

My Dad passed away in 1971 aged only 44 when I was just 15 so I never new him as an adult.
Mum and Dad are both from Scotland.... Glasgow born and bred.

A few years ago I discovered a book which used to belong to my father on one of Mum's bookshelves. It was the sun faded spine that first attracted me to it.
I do know my dad used to travel around the highlands on his motorbike.
I like to think he was inspired by this little book.
"Autumns in Skye Ross and Sutherland" by Ratcliffe Barnett was first published in 1930.
The book I had in my hands was the New and Revised Edition ... 1946.
This little old book describes journeys around the highlands of Scotland.
 Most of Ratcliffes journeys were made on foot... travelling up to 30 miles a day.
Ross XIV
"The Sea Gates of Wester Ross"

This chapter was about a part of Scotland I had already visited during 1992.
2007 would see me following in the footsteps of Ratcliffe Barnett...
...he was on foot I had my little red Citroen.
Travelling towards Ullapool along the "Dirrie More" (the long ascent in Gaelic) I stopped at Loch Droma to admire An Teallach (pronounced Ann Challock).
Looking back towards Ullapool and Loch Broom.
The Ice Age sculptured this landscape... Stac Pollaidh (Stac Polly) is in the centre.
A wonderful eroded little mountain to climb.
The remains of Ardvreck Castle
 Suilven (The Sugar Loaf).
 Assynt is a wonderful place to drive around..  it's one of the last wildernesses in the UK.
Looking back towards Suilven and Lochinver.... It's a stunning landscape.
The Summer Isles from Polbain.
Beneath Stac Pollaidh on my return to Ullapool.
It is a popular little mountain to climb and the scramble along it's top is quite an adventure...
...the famous biting midgies make it more so.
Sunset from the campsite.... It was a lovely few days and all inspired by a little blue book.

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful terrain. lovely skies and blue waters. :)

Horst in Edmonton said...

Beautiful landscapes. Thanks for the tour, a wonderful place.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

It looks so different from anything we have here in the states unless you are in the high alpine areas like the Sierra.

ADRIAN said...

superb area and good weather for once.

The Herald said...

Beautiful scenes Andrew. And a great account of holidays past...[;o)

The Glebe Blog said...

Great pictures Andrew,ever thought of submitting pictures to Scotland in the Gloaming,it's a great photo blog.

Bob Bushell said...

Great vacation in Scotland. It is so lovely, the Lochs, Bens, and the lower lands are precious.

Unknown said...

Be still my heart! I'd so love to visit this region, but for now I'll enjoy it though your wonderful photos. What a wonderful legacy for you.

Pantherka said...

Beautiful allowance Andrew and very beautiful landscape.
Have a nice evening.

joo said...

Beautiful scenery in Scotland, and no rain! Almost impossible:)

936000 said...

Wow..talk about soaring landscapes. Just gorgeous!

Firas said...

Amazing!! This is unmatched beauty of nature! Especially the mountains and the valleys, the waters, the weather, the clouds and the sunset all spectacular! Great composition!