Sunday 26 September 2010

A Sunday stroll...... Little Budworth & Oulton Park


I parked in the small car park at Little Budworth Country Park on Coach Road and walked over to the 18th century entrance lodge (a grade ll listed building) of Oulton Estate. The estate is now home to the Oulton Park motor racing circuit and just through the imposing gates is a bend on the track called Lodge Corner.


I then walked through Little Budworth village past St Peters Church and the Red Lion pub before turning left down Mill Lane towards Budworth Pool. 


A footpath across a field brought me to a bridleway (there are many in this area) which was originally a drovers road (Helsby to Oswestry) and a good example of a sunken lane (see the photo above). I followed this before heading left onto a path leading back into the Country Park.
Lot's of Silver Birch in the woods but the only bird seen was a single Great Tit. I then crossed back over the Coach Road to the other side of the wood and either side of the path are areas of Lowland Heath which is now scarce in Cheshire. This path brought me to a track which led me back to a road which led down to the Mill Pond (Coots and  few distant Canada Geese).
A short uphill walk then a left over to Rushton to follow the racing circuits perimeter wall (a crumbling old brick structure topped with broken glass and barbed wire). A footpath around the wall through fields of cattle (and one large bull) over half a dozen stiles brought me to a lane with views over the fields to the church I had passed a couple of hours earlier.

 A lovely walk in fine weather even if it did lack a bit of wildlife.

No comments: